7/28 July Open Day Last Sunday Bennie Maupin & Friends
12pm to 6pm
Join us for a summer evening of music as we welcome legend Bennie Maupin and his friends for cool jazz in the garden (or indoors with AC if it's hot.)
Bennie Maupin is an internationally known woodwind artist who helped define the classic recordings of such jazz greats as Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock. The multi-woodwind player has also recorded with Marion Brown, Chick Corea, Horace Silver, McCoy Tyner, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Jack DeJohnette, Andrew Hill, Eddie Henderson, Woody Shaw and more.
With him for this special performance will be pianist David Arnay, a friend of the garden and curator of the World Music Series, bringing to us some of the best artists in the city. David has performed as a soloist, sideman and leader of his own jazz group and teaches at USC Thornton School of Music.
This concert is free with garden admission. Picnics welcome.
See a map and directions for parking HERE.
- Reservations close the day before at 5pm
- Children 12 and under are free and are admitted without registration
- We often sell out on the Last Sunday so reservations are recommended
- The garden is open to the public on the second and last Sundays of each month. Closed the last Sunday of December
- The garden is wheelchair accessible
- Sorry, no pets allowed
- Open rain or shine. We are not able to issue refunds